May I Have This Dance? [A Return to Fairytales]

Hello, lovely!

I can’t tell you how much I’ve enjoyed this series, “A Return to Fairytales.” I’ve learned countless valuable lessons from all of our writers, and I hope you have too! I believe that God often teaches us truths through different avenues-and storytelling is definitely one of them.

I’ve been thinking about this series lately, about the message that I hope and pray you take away from it. I know it is so much fun to reminisce and daydream about the princesses we all adored as children (and still do!) and read about how their lives reflect beautiful character and love. It’s all so wonderfully lighthearted! However, I am also aware that at the end of the day, fairytales are not real life, and I never want to emphasize fairytales so much that it minimizes the pain and struggle that so many of you have inevitably encountered in your lives. This “return to fairy tales” was not meant to gloss over or sprinkle glitter upon your pain as if it is unnecessary or trivial. His Ladyship is not about naivety, nor denying the realities of this sinful world we live in. LINK As I described in my first post, I too have endured pain. I understand with everything I have in me what it means to battle with this life that is so unimaginably unjust. But, I also find some hope in the story, in the tale. And that’s what this whole thing is truly about. Hope.

It’s about the source of blessed hope. Hope that has open arms for you to fall into. Hope that keeps track of all of your tears. Hope that is deep and rich and comes in endless amounts. Hope that withstands when the very foundations begin to crumble. Hope that endures and believes when you don’t. 

Truthfully, fairytales can’t give you the depth of hope that your soul is crying out for. No amount of optimism, cheery outlooks or inspiring quotes can fill you with the kind of Hope that won’t falter. That is the kind of Hope you need.

This Blessed Hope is found only in Jesus. He is inviting you to be the princess of your very own fairy tale. He does not promise that your life will be filled with happy endings, Prince Charmings, grand ballrooms or glass slippers. In fact, He actually promises that in this world we will encounter trouble (Jn. 16:33). But a fairytale, a story, a journey walked with Jesus is the best kind, because He is the most wonderful creator...the author of your story. Life walked hand in hand with Jesus is a magnificent adventure.

J.R.R Tolkien, in his discourse on fairy stories, wrote: “The Gospels contain a fairy story, or a story of a larger kind which embraces all the essence of fairy-stories. They contain many marvels—peculiarly artistic, beautiful, and moving: “mythical” in their perfect, self-contained significance...This story begins and ends in joy. There is no tale ever told that men would rather find was true, and none which so many skeptical men have accepted as true on its own merits. For the Art of it has the supremely convincing tone of Primary Art, that is, of Creation.”

You are a part of that story. Jesus is always standing before you in His glorious light, beaming from His countenance. His gentle gaze on you is always warm and tender, and He extends a hand out toward you. He offers you His leadership, His guidance, His love, His promise, His kindness, and His very life.

He’s asking you, “May I have this dance?” 


Will you accept and allow your Blessed Hope to dance you through this life and into eternity? 

All for His Royal Kingdom,
Sammie-Marie


2 comments:

  1. Sammie, what truth you have so seamlessly expressed here! HOPE without sugarcoating. And brilliant to think that the age-old question, "can I have this dance?" is one our savior asks us everyday. Pick up your cross and walk (DANCE) with HIM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so enjoyed this series and this post to perfectly conclude it. Can't wait for what comes next and read more!!!

    ReplyDelete