Like A Lady: Choosing to Smile.

About a year ago, maybe less, I stood hand in hand in a circle full of people who held their heads down. Though this was our normal routine at our 8:30am staff prayer time, on this particular morning, we all held our heads down for more reasons than in prayer. We faced discouragement, tiredness, and… boredom. If I had looked in the mirror, I would have probably seen a similar reflection. It was not a “season,” a trial, or a heartache that kept us from joy. I think it was simple: I think it was just the mundane.

I realized in this moment that simple problems require simple solutions. So I boldly prayed outloud, “As we close our eyes in prayer, can we all smile?” At first, some chuckled. I know, it was an unexpected prayer.  Smiling doesn’t seem like anything “spiritual,” right?

Or, does it?

 1. Smiling is good for the soul.

I think that God knew that His ladies would need an example of a woman who demonstrates joy.  Proverbs 31:25, “she can laugh at the days to come.” Women often struggle with pressures, anxiety, stress, and… hormones. But in the midst of unknowing what our week will hold, or the hours in the day will bring, we can deflate those pressures by smiling.
Psychologists, doctors, and scientists have performed studies and tests that prove that smiling improves the mood. And well it does, we know as Christians that it is the joy of the Lord that renews our strength. Which means, we do not need antidepressants or other medication for our happiness or sanity. Proverbs 17:22 reads,  “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.” The joy of the Lord is enough to change our perspectives, lift our burdens, and delight our hearts. When you choose to smile, you’re choosing joy.
2. Smiling is good for the body.
Proverbs 15:30  “A cheerful look brings joy to the heart”

By smiling for up to 60 seconds (no matter if it is forced or not) studies show that it boosts the immune system, decreases stress hormones, and relaxes physical tension. Smiling can also relax the body’s muscles, resulting in more circulation of  blood flow. When you choose smiling, you’re choosing wellness.
3. Smiling is contagious.
Think about the last time someone smiled at you. Could you resist smiling back? Neither could I. I read this brilliant poem, by an unknown author, and it convinced me that smiling is indeed very contagious.
“Smiling is infectious,
you catch it like the flu,
When someone smiled at me today,
I started smiling too.

I passed around the corner
and someone saw my grin.
When he smiled I realized
I'd passed it on to him.

I thought about that smile,
then I realized its worth.
A single smile, just like mine
could travel round the earth. 

So, if you feel a smile begin,
don't leave it undetected.
Let's start an epidemic quick,
and get the world infected!”

When you choose to smile, you’re choosing influence.
If you’re having trouble finding a reason to smile, I encourage you to think positively! Remember to count your blessings. Choose to spend your time with life-giving people. And, laugh at yourself.
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight." -- Phyllis Dyer

If you need to smile (or laugh!) today, then watch this video that my friend, Rachel Grant, produced. Rachel is the one person who can always make me laugh. She is currently studying Film/Media in Sydney, Australia at Hillsong College.


Confidently His,

Whitney


No comments:

Post a Comment